Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Got class but no funds

     I have few loves in my life. Family, friends, boyfriend, and art. (My cat is included in with family.) Under the category of art rests the subject of "books." I love reading, I love love love it more than anything. I have never been friends with anyone who doesn't read. Now even if you read every once and awhile or hardly at all, I'm still okay with that. Understandable. As long as you do find the activity enjoyable from time to time, then we're good. I have, however, never really liked anyone that has said "I hate books. I hate reading. It's stupid." Really? No, you are! Looking back on all of the people that are no longer in my life I distinctly remember at one time they admitted that they hated reading. From then on I was suspicious of them and knew they wouldn't really be around much longer. So, obviously I take books quite serious.
     With that said, know that it broke my heart to sell 11 of my treasures today. Eleven of my books are currently sitting on some dusty black iron table in downtown Mount Pleasant. I have abandoned them! I needed some extra money, so my roommate and I went through some of our novels to sell to the Book Garden downtown. They take books and give you money for the ones they want. All of mine are pretty popular, I can't imagine they won't want any. It just makes me so sad. Somewhere in each book i've written my name, the day I bought it, and a little note of the shopping trip. For example "November 2010, Shopping at the Westwood - E'lena and I actually had money!" or "April 2009, bought this after Molly and I got our ears double- pierced!" It's so upsetting. I realize I'm a bit nostalgic, but those are my memories sitting in some strange place. I read those books in high school and in college when I couldn't deal with anyone but the characters in the pages. Now I'm waiting on some stranger to call me back and tell me how much he'll give me for them. If it's not a decent price I'm taking every single one back. I rather have less funds than seeing the empty spots on my book shelf. *sigh* It's tragic. I really hate not having any money! Thank God I'm working when I go home this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Life may not be the party we hoped for,
    but while we are here we might as well dance. ;D

    ReplyDelete